Bubble on baby's eye

Tarabull

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tara
One of my golden babies has a growth or bubble over or on its eye. When it was smaller sometimes it looked bubbled up but other times it looked like it was just a shiny spot. Now that it's a little over an inch I can see the bump. What should I do? I don't plan on keeping it but I don't want to cull it either. It's the second largest one of the bunch and is thriving. This is the best picture I could get of it.

Tara

Attachments

• IMAG0280_1.jpg
    IMAG0280_1.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 256
I do not really know what it is. I think you should take him to a vet because some tumors look kind of like that.

I don't know what is that...as Cloppy said, I do agree to take your axie to the vet. Make sure youc all first see if they are treating axie or not. Last time I called the vet they said the examination is around $100+

I finally found a vet that has dealt with axolotls before and is willing to see my two inch baby. The funny thing is, this vet is closer to me than the one I use for my fur babies. My usual vet didn't feel confident enough treating it. I'll keep you updated on what the bump may be.

I took my baby to the vet. Since she is so small he didn't want to try to remove it yet. The good news is he thinks it is just fluid and not effecting it's sight yet. The bad news is the other eye has a small fluid pocket starting. Looks like I may be keeping this baby for awhile or forever. The other good news is she was a hit with the staff wanting pictures and they loved her deformity and all. :happy:

I am sorry your little axolotl appears to have some permanent issues! I hope he continues to do well despite them.

When we took a couple of our axolotls into the vet office, all the staff wanted to take pictures with them! :D I guess vet staff don't get to see axolotls very often...

I thought I would post an update on my baby that has a tumor on her eye. I had her to the vet for the second time. The tumor is now half covering her eye. They advised to leave is since she (possible he) doesn't seem to be in any discomfort and is still receptive to light. She also has always been the largest of all my babies and eats extremely well. Her other eye is swollen around it too. If the tumor continues to grow and cover the eye they will try to remove it.

So it looks like I will be keeping her since she isn't normal. She has the most beautiful gills though. I've named her Sunny since her gills look like sun rays. Here she is with her sibling. Ignore the blackworms and earthworm goo.

Attachments

• 20170505_010722.jpg
    20170505_010722.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 202
  • 20170504_120313.jpg
    20170504_120313.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 177
  • 20170517_164912.jpg
    20170517_164912.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 170
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back