Gus is still a balloon. And so is his sibling.

Kirzzin

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi everyone.
I have been posting about Gus every few months to see if anyone has any insight on what I am dealing with. I thought it must be rare. Until one of his siblings who went as a pair just came back to me because they said it hasn't grown its back legs back and it was "really fat."
They sent me a picture and I told then I would replace it for a healthy one and bring it back to keep Gus company. Their wild one who is also a sibling of Gus is HUGE and healthy. He is probably 5 inches long at 9 months.

So anyways, now that I know Gus isn't alone in his traits, has anyone ever seen this?
Both bellies are huge and swollen, like they are balloons. They both only grew nubbs for back legs. They both looked normal up until about 5 months.
Their insides have a lot of space around them.
Here is my other post on Gus:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...ick-axolotl/108189-need-some-insight-gus.html
17236948_10155168140532375_609889088_o.jpg

IMG_20170313_225525_323.jpg

IMG_20170313_224716.jpg

Does it look like that is fluid inside of their abdomen? Or just entirely air? I'm assuming either way it's something genetic causing this to happen?

Do they eat normally/ act normally/ use the bathroom okay besides this weird giant balloon animal thing they have going on?

At least if you post this information, someone else may stumble upon it and either have an answer, or gain information if they are going through the same thing!

Wishing you luck with them both!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha yes beside looking like the balloon snakes from Shrek, they are happy, they eat every day, they poop normally, they swim fine besides the fact they often get in their own way! And it looks like its just air in there. I am hoping someone has seen it before. I am certain its genetics now that there's a second one.

回复: Gus is still a balloon. And so is his sibling.

Just wanted to comment to say that this is one of the most bizarre but slightly hilarious things I've ever seen. I'm concerned about their longevity but they must be amazing to watch float about. I hope you get the answers you seek!

From a cursory search around I only see bubbles in the gut being bad news...but those bubbles also seem to make the axies float upside down when that clearly isn't the case here. In fact, how can it possibly be air and not fluid if they're able to happily swim upright around the tank??

Hi guys,

Gus unfortunately passed away a week ago. His Leucistic sibling is still living, but it's organs are much more formed than his were.
I'd still love to know what made them that way though

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back