Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Gills laid back

EbonyAXIEPastel

Reaction score
My Axolotl Saphirra has always had her gills laid back on her head since the day I got her. Also, her middle gills on each side lay under her arms, which I find very weird. She is housed with my black Mel Axolotl and the Mel has "normal" gills. I'm not sure if this is normal or if something is wrong. I will post photos to show what I mean. Other than her gills laying back, she is a very healthy axie! Any comments are appreciated!

EbonyAXIEPastel

Reaction score
Here are the photos!

Attachments

• IMG_2884.jpg
    IMG_2884.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 528
  • IMG_2882.jpg
    IMG_2882.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 515

Feldmann

Reaction score
Mine are the same, however they used to point straight up. The water is fine in mine, so I too am concerned. Only thing I can think of if that they're curled forwards when the water pressure from the filter is too strong, so otherwise I have no clue :/

Pahncake

Reaction score
One of my Wild Spec axis does the same thing quite often, I'm not super experienced with them in general but after watching him for a few months and researching it I've come to the conclusion that's it nothing to worry about. They say when they fold their gills forward (like on their foreheads) it's a sign that they are severely stressed, but I have not found anything regarding them folding back.

The thing to watch here is the size of their gills. If they start shrinking, it means your axi is probably starting to morph.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!