Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

When to put axolotl on sand?

BrooklynD

Reaction score
I have two baby axolotls about 3 in and their back and front feet both have all toes, and are I would guess "fully developed" and they are starting to become not as see-through lol. I was wondering when I can safely put them on sand? They have nothing at the moment. I've read 5 in but mine are growing so fast and so well I'm just wondering.

I have 10 gallon cycled with black sand waiting for them when they're ready, they're in a 1.5 gal right now since they're small and need to go up for air so something too big isn't good. I'm doing 100% daily water changes for the 1.5 gal. Then they will move into a 10 gal and lastly a 30 gal once almost full size. I didn't mean to upgrade to so many tanks, it was only supposed to be two upgrades but then I ended up getting two axolotls instead of 1 so now I have to get a 30 instead of 10 gal lol. But enough rambling, if I could know when to put my axolotls on sand that would be great :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!