Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotls Get Aggressive During Feeding

KombatVirus

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My axolotls get aggressive during feeding time. What would be the best approach to resolve this? I already had a major bite and broken arm, and now I'm really scared every time I feed them!

What are my options?

eklinds

Reaction score
How big is your tank? I think in that situation I would either have them in separate tanks if you have the space or they sell tank dividers which you can pop right in there to keep them separated at feeding time or just in general :)

Blackbun

Reaction score
A broken arm? Phew!
Well fed animals don't tend to get so excited at feeding times. The term feeding frenzy comes to mind something which happens when hungry animals respond to food in an apparently aggressive manner and yes axolotls etc will snap at what ever is in the vaciniry such as smaller animals (which might be cannibalised) arms and gills etc. I'm not sure that is intentional but during this frenzy brought about by wriggles, particulate matter and chemicals from the prey especially if it's been chopped up and leaking blood etc then grab what you can because you don't know when or if there will be another feed time is what you're seeing.
Try feeding them in different corners. I don't see any need to separate them unless of course one can fit in the mouth of the other.

KombatVirus

Reaction score
To Elaborate:

The broken arm has healed, thankfully, but it gave me quite a scare. I currently feed pellets which love to fly all over the aquarium. When they're snapping them up, they sometimes get close. I assume one accidentally bit the other when they were close together during feeding time. The tank is quite small, only 30 gallon. (Yes I know, I am buying a MUCH bigger tank when I move into my new home in a month)

I guess perhaps switch to worms temporarily and feed them by hand. I just don't love cutting them up and getting blood everywhere

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1