Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Gills ok?

Ryanne

Reaction score
I have heard and read that curled gills mean an axolotl is sick or stressed. Can you tell me if Chester's gills look ok? I cycled my tank, the bubbler is on low and the filter is turned very low. He is eating well, if fact he seems to have eaten almost all the ghost shrimp I brought home today. He has been getting blood worms but I have worms coming from Uncle Jim's Worm farm because I think he will be able to handle them now. So, how does he look?

Attachments

• IMG_20170318_193408723.jpg
    IMG_20170318_193408723.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 156

Cloppy

Reaction score
Well, he looks a little bit stressed to me, How fast is the current in the tank?

Ryanne

Reaction score
The bubbles are almost nothing and the filter is barely flowing. Should I stop the bubbles all together?

mountainmermaid

Reaction score
I would stop the bubbles. That would be my go to. Your little buddy seems to be bothered by something. It may very well be a water flow issue. Maybe even a diet change issue. Kill the bubbles and see if his curling improves, if not it may be time to nix the ghost shrimp.

Holly12

Reaction score
His gills seem fine to me. Mine had one gill that curved a bit when it was younger. My filter is for a 70 gallon tank and it's on a 20 gallon tank, full flow (just a sponge and Turtle dock to disperse the current) and a bubbler on full and he's healthy and huge. They are tougher than you think. I wouldn't restrict your filter or you won't get the clean water you need. Try to disperse the output instead. Google curled gills and you will see, they curl almost to the face when they are stressedoing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1