Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is it normal for my new Axolotl not to be very active?

Mouse Mason

Reaction score
So I have recently (two days ago) purchased my first two axolotls- two wilds names Charlie and Skipper (Ive had the names long before the axolotls!). Skipper seems to have settled in brilliantly- he's rearranged the rocks (which ive made sure are much bigger than their heads so I think that's ok?) to suite himself, and already uprooted two of my plants, but Charlie seems to spend almost all of his time in one corner, hardly moving. Both are eating normally, and Charlie will happily come out when food (blood worms, once a day) is wiggled in front of him, but i just wanted to check this level of inactivity was normal? I've left him alone, and not bothered him, because I think he's just adjusting, but i just wanted to make sure :happy:
Also, as I'm completely new to the Axoltl buissenes any advice/tips/what I might be doing wrong is much appreciated :happy:

Tarabull

Reaction score
As long as he is eating he should be fine. He's probably adjusting or he is on old soul since they aren't too active as adults. They each will have their odd quirks. Give it time and he may move around more.

Mouse Mason

Reaction score
Thank you, they're both still babies so old age shouldn't be a problem! Charlie's become much more active now and is just as energetic as Skipper, so everything's alright! :happy:

BrooklynD

Reaction score
Thank you, they're both still babies so old age shouldn't be a problem! Charlie's become much more active now and is just as energetic as Skipper, so everything's alright! :happy:

Sounds like you said everything is fine, and I agree if they're eating and look okay I'm sure he's fine. I got babies and I was worried when I first got them as well, but they opened up and now are silly and cute :) glad to hear things are fine!

Cloppy

Reaction score
He was probably just taking more time to settle in to the new tank.

Hellcat73

Reaction score
It is probably advisable to switch from gravel to sand,asap...gravel can get ingested,and if rough can scratch their bellies....I use Crayola Play Sand..for kids sand boxes...its safe ..ie kids eat anything..lol...and its super fine and come in cool colours...and in Canada we get it at Canadian Tire..for $15 bucks! Does a 20 gallon perfectly! My guys eat their pellets off the sand and spit out whatever gets in their mouth...to date I never had a issue ..and neither has my breeder friend...becides gravel traps food and poop...sand makes it easier to use a turkey baster to suck up the poopand leftover food!

Purpletotodile

Reaction score
As long as the tank was cycled, you remove the gravel, and they're eating it should be fine. I urge you to remove the gravel to avoid impaction or prolapse.
If you see anything else such as signs of a bacterial infection, I recommend calling a vet school since you appear to be a new owner. When I first got my axolotls they were inactive but after a couple weeks they got used to me. Hope you enjoy your new friend!:D

Purpletotodile

Reaction score
As long as the tank was cycled, you remove the gravel, and they're eating it should be fine. I urge you to remove the gravel to avoid impaction or prolapse.
If you see anything else such as signs of a bacterial infection, I recommend calling a vet school since you appear to be a new owner. When I first got my axolotls they were inactive but after a couple weeks they got used to me. Hope you enjoy your new friend!:D

Mouse Mason

Reaction score
Thank you all for replying! the gravel has now been removed, sand is in, and so far so good! They've grown loads, and are both active and eating brilliantly, so everythings fine- and, yes, I'm certainly enjoying my new friends :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1