Question: Axolotl or tiger salamander larvae?

Karayna

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I bought Axel 9 days ago from a pet store, that got him from a large, commercial breeder. Some suspicion was raised over at Reddit's Axolotl forum, that he might actually be a tiger and not an axolotl? Mostly because of his slightly odd coloration.

Tiger salamanders are not a native species to Sweden. They're actually quite rare in shops (and from what I've seen, twice as expensive as axolotls)... so it's not as plausible as if I lived in the US. What do you think?

Also, he eats like a horse. 3-4 small/medium red wigglers per day... Should I cut it down? He is 3 months and 3 weeks old, about 14-15 centimeters (~5.4-5.9 inches).

Attachments

• 2017-03-15 19.23.18.jpg
    2017-03-15 19.23.18.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 6,471
  • 2017-03-15 19.23.47.jpg
    2017-03-15 19.23.47.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 5,062
  • 2017-03-15 00.50.04.jpg
    2017-03-15 00.50.04.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1,156
Last edited:
Thank you, I will! I'll prepare a land part just in case. I'm having a hard time comparing, though. I found a YouTube video of tiger larvae that looked just like him - but I also found axies that looked the same...

His gills are the same size as one week ago, so no metamorphosis yet...

Thank you all! :) I would be happy either way, but it's really great to have it confirmed!

I have a bunch of axolotls and one tiger salamander and that is definitely an axolotl:) my tiger salam set looks different compared to my axies and I could tell the minute I bought him he wasn't an axolotl. I love my axies but it would be cool to see my tiger salamander actually morph :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back