Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Setting up a new tank, help with readings..

starkerz14

Reaction score
I set up a tank yesterday and have started the nitrogen cycle off.. last night I put lots of pellets in an old tight as I'm doing a fishless cycle, done some readings today, they are as follows.. ph 8 ammonia 1.0, nitrite 0.5-1.0, and nitrate 40ppm..

As far as I was aware the nitrate should be reading 0 as I have only just started the cycle.. so what does this mean?? The cycle is already working?

Thanks in advance..

Oli

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blade1013

Reaction score
Do you have any media from a cycled tank in the new tank? Also, check the Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates from the tap. It is possible that any of these could already be in your tap water.

Last edited:

Holly12

Reaction score
Unless you have media from another, already cycled tank, (which I'm assuming you do because you mentioned a stocking,) there wouldn't be any nitrites or nitrates yet.
You will know your cycle is done when you can purposely put ammonia in the tank and have it read 0ppm in 24 hours. Example: I did a fishless cycle and dosed with straight ammonia instead of fish food. My cycle was done when I could dose the tank and have it read 4ppm ammonia and 24 hours later read 0ppm ammonia and 0ppm nitrites, nitrates under 40ppm with live plants. Nitrates should be under 20ppm if there are no live plants.

starkerz14

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's

I tested my tap water and it has 40 ppm of nitrate in it already.. 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite..

I haven't put any media in the new tank from my other tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cloppy

Reaction score
then that would be the reason! lol, your tap water is already half/cycled!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1