Injured Leg + Fungus?

MrShine

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
So, I just picked up a new axolotl (my second overall, but my only one ATM). In the shop I noticed his leg was damaged, probably from a tank mate where he originally was. It was only when we got home, and got him into his tank I got a chance to have a closer look. What I originally just took for the wound, I now believe might be fungus. He was originally holding his leg at the weird angle you see in the photos, but he's since moved it back down to a more normal position.

I wonder could some axolotl veterans have a look, tell me what they think, and then let me know what the best course of action is, salt baths, fridging etc. Does he look healthy otherwise? The bloodworms in the background have since been removed, I'd only just fed him.

Attachments

• IMG_20170323_134517968.jpg
    IMG_20170323_134517968.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_20170323_134534932.jpg
    IMG_20170323_134534932.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 218
The bit at the end isn't like cotton wool, like I've seen in other posts here. It looks more solid and yellow, rather than soft and white. Here's a better pic my gf took at the time.

Attachments

• 20170323_180926.jpg
    20170323_180926.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
It looks like the injury is infected. It doesn't look like fungus, but it does look like it needs medical attention. Is the area directly attached to it red at all or swollen? Those are also indicators of infection.

I would seek out a vet that knows how to treat salamanders (axolotl experience would be preferable, but not many have the training or experience from what iv read.)
It would be a lot safer to have something like that looked at in office rather than wait days for someone on here to get back to you that's even semi qualified to diagnose it properly.

Good luck, I hope it's nothing.

Shoot, I was hoping it wasn't that serious. The only vet that treats exotics that I know of is a good distance away, and getting the time to head out there will be really difficult for us. Plus we'll have to wait till payday to bring him out. That said, I'm not going to let him suffer.

There's no swelling on the limb, and according to my gf there's no redness at all (I'm colour-blind). I'll ring the vet tomorrow, plus the place who sold him to us, and see what they say. If anyone knows of any medical treatments I could add to the water that might help, I'd be very grateful. Cheers.

So, as an update to this, I called the vet this morning, we were planning on bringing him in on monday or tuesday, however the yellow growth simply fell off. I was feeding him, and as he climbed into the container I had the bloodworms in, he pushed off the edge, and it just popped off. The skin underneath looks healthy and white, with no wound open that I can see. I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days, if it returns at all I'll bring him straight to the vet, but hopefully this is the end of it. Thanks again Jazzy for the advice.

Edit: I don't know why the thumbnail is flipped, I can't get it to flip back. You can still see the leg either way.

Attachments

• 20170324_135526.jpg
    20170324_135526.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 254
Taking your new axolotl to the vet is never a bad idea, but it looks like his body was dealing with the injury by getting the area ready to drop off the damaged tissue/cartilage.

I just came across this this morning, and it seems similar to what you have just experienced. Warning! Images contained in the 'Regrowing a Limb" section of link show a very damaged axolotl leg!
http://sillyaxolotls.wixsite.com/sillyaxolotls/photo-diaries

ETA: I hope your new axolotl continues to do well in your care!!!

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back