Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: How to get rid of anchor worms?

Rogelio

Reaction score
Hi! I noticed anchor worms on my axolotl about a week ago. I took him to the vet and she confirmed that the parasites were indeed anchor worms. She wasn't really sure about the treatment, though. I have used salt baths (as she told me to) and the axie is in a quarantine tank. I have dried my main aquarium and the vet said that just plain drying should kill the worms, but it seems that no one knows how long I should keep the tank dry. Do any of you have any experiences about this? Also I'd like to know how many days it is safe to do salt treatments in a row? I have done one each day (2 teaspoons/litre, 15 minutes) for four days now. I hope someone can give me answers, I really don't want to mess anything up!

auntiejude

Reaction score
Salt baths will help, but if you look on youtube you can find demos on ow to remove larger ones.
Other than that you need to dry out everything in the tank thoroughly - anchor worms and eggs cannot survive drying. This includes the filter and you'll need to replace the medium too - so while you axie is being treated you'll have to cycle your tank again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1