Distilled water bath?

KimYoshiko

Reaction score
Country
United States
A bit of an update to a previous post I made about Luke:

Context: I have a five-year-old male who has been refusing food and losing weight steadily for some time now. I ruled out water conditions (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, ~10-20 nitrate), temperature (65 F), PH (7.5), and impaction (he did eat and poop successfully once in the fridge, and has always been kept either on sand or bare bottom). Eventually the only causes left I could think of were parasites, bacterial infection, or some kind of internal failure possibly owing to bad genetics or just bad luck.

Here is my question: I took Luke to the vet yesterday, who was not familiar with axolotls but has worked with other types of salamanders. The vet prescribed Panacur, but also three-hour baths in distilled water in the event it is some kind of protozoa infection? I am not familiar with this treatment but have since found it discussed in some texts online. Has anyone else had experience with distilled water baths for axolotls?

Distilled or RO water is bad for axies. They like high hardness/mineral content, a low mineral environment will leach minerals from their bodies and they will eventually become anaemic and ill.

If anything you need a high mineral content for axies - try 20% Holtfreter's solution.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back