Trying to figure out what kind of critter would work in my new terrarium

David Miller

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all!!

I am setting up a terrarium in a 15 gallon tall aquarium and i want the top open to let the plants grow up and out of it. Honestly the main focus is the plants, but i would like a couple of small critters in it. The ambient room temp is 73 degrees. I can add heating pads or heat tape if necessary, but no heat lamps as that would burn the plants. The dimensions of the tank are 20 x 11 x 19 inches high. Any ideas of any small amphibians that would work??

photo.php

You need something that can't climb or jump. That rules out most salamanders- most can climb much better than their build and lack of sticky toes would suggest. No treefrogs or ranids, either.
A tiger salamander might work; I've never had one that climbed. They do like to dig around in plants, though, and might be a bit destructive.
I think the amphibian most likely to work would probably be a toad, such as your basic Anaxyrus americanus, easily found in MN. They are not really climbers, although a small one might be able to climb up the plants and hop out, depending on how close the plants are to the walls.

Thanks for the help!

Like i said the focus is plants so finding a little creature to work within that has been difficult. I am planning on checking the next reptile show for something. Still in the planning stages for that though. The plants are done and just waiting for them to grow more.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back