Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tank Setup/Ideas

caitesco

Reaction score
Hello All!

I am brand new to the Axolotl world! I recently acquired an Albino Axolotl. He is about 1 month old and 2 1/2 inches long.

I set up his tank at first with a coarse sand substrate and learned quickly that it was not the best for my little one and probably wreaking havoc on my current filter.

Wooper (my Axolotl) is now in a new setup without substrate. It is a 10 gallon and I have attached a photo. My next step is to buy a new filter that has a better flow. I have decided on the ZooMed Nano 30 External Canister Filter. It has some great reviews and will work on a larger tank when I decide to upgrade. I am also going to get this fan: Zoo Med Aqua Cool Aquarium Cooling Fan since I live in the Midwest and summers get warm.

The point of me posting is that I am looking for some ideas on an eventual tank upgrade.

I am thinking it would be best to have Wooper in a 20 gallon tank but have no idea the best way to set it up. I was thinking that I would have the pot on one side with some hanging plants above it and a DIY cave on the other. I would like to put some fine black sand in the bottom.

So...any ideas? Any strong opinions about sand as a substrate? I think it's the best substrate for my Axolotl as far as keeping the water levels level, but I am worried about keeping in clean.

Attachments

• IMG_20170331_101723.jpg
    IMG_20170331_101723.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 30,605
  • IMG_20170329_154218 (2).jpg
    IMG_20170329_154218 (2).jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 629
Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1