How often and how much to feed axolotl

BrooklynD

Reaction score
Country
United States
Now I know this question is pretty open to numerous answers because it depends on the axolotls, but I am feeding my 2 axolotls Canadian night crawlers for the first time, and was gonna cut them up and feed them what like a half worm each? And then some blood worms.. should I do that everyday or every other day? I have no idea how big to cut the worms and some people say as long as the worm isn't longer than ur axolotl and some say just the size of their head so I have no idea?

Right now they're both 4 inches and are fed daily a pretty good sized chunk of bloodworms and they eat a lot lol but they're a good weight. So does this sound like a good diet? Please make sure to answer all my questions as I'm feeding them later thanks in advance :)

Their stomach should be the same width as their head. Feed them every day but not too much each day.. Bloodworms are okay but dont feed just those. You could cut the worms up smaller and they can eat how much they want until they are full. You could feed them crickets, mealworms, pellets, and live blackworms but they should be okay.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back