Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Should I be concerned with how little my axolotl is eating??

Courtlez

Reaction score
I just recently bought two axolotls from a breeder. Ive only had them for a little over a week. I named them Koobla and Kahn. The breeder said he was feeding them pellets and blood worms. They're only 3inches long so they should be eating everyday, or so I thought. Koobla eats A LOT. She will eat as many blood worms as I'll give her in the morning and eat anywhere between 3-4 small chunks of earth worms at night. Kahn barely eats anything. I'm not exaggerating he will eat one tiny blood worms and then will refuse anything else. He will not eat the earth worms at all. Sometimes he will suck a piece up but spits it right out. I am starting to get pretty concerned by this, and I can't decide if he's eating enough or if Koobla is just a pig. He is a lot skinnier than Koobla. I checked the parameters in the tank and didn't find anything that could be causing him to not eat, and the temperature is 68 degrees. I do realize it takes time for them to adjust to a new tank but I'm just really worried about his lack of appetite.

Cloppy

Reaction score
If the earthworms are red wrigglers, the axolotl probably will spit it out because it is known that most salamanders do not like them. I would go to a bait store and buy a can of nightcrawlers and then try to get the axolotl to feed on them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!