Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axolotl was seemingly floating but now he's not?

rmschilling

Reaction score
Ok, so I've had my Axolotl for about a week now,and he's been doing extremely well in his new home, however, this morning when I checked on him, the area from the lower half of his stomach to his tail was floating upwards. I got worried and looked at forums for help, and every forum I found recommended to put him in the fridge. While I was setting up the container and putting it in the fridge to see what the temperature would be if I put him in, I went back to check on him and he seems perfectly fine now? The lower half of his body isn't floating upwards anymore and he's swimming and staying on the ground just fine now. Any idea what this could be? Was he doing it on purpose to swim around? And should I still put him in the fridge?
Maybe i'm just being paranoid because i'm a new owner :confused:

Amyglistens

Reaction score
If he seems fine I'd leave him be. Have you tested your water since he went in. I'd do a water test just to be on the safe side.

rmschilling

Reaction score
Ok, I did a water test and everything seems normal. He looks normal too, but I haven't been able to feed him today since i'm worried that this might be a problem with his stomach. He's starting to kind of do it again, the way he's floating kind of seems like he's being dragged by something? He just kind of floats slightly while being perfectly still and drifts, almost like there's a current?

HadesPotato

Reaction score
I'm not terribly experienced, but I've had my axolotl Hades for a few weeks now and he does this when he needs to poop. It looks kinda like his lower half is trying to lift off, as you described, as if something is pulling his bum up. He's pretty young, maybe 3.5 inches or so. Usually he has a bowel movement and it disappears or it just goes away on its own. I also have a baby that's a few weeks old and only an inch long and when she starts to float (usually it's her whole body though) I feed her and I think it helps her pass any bubble that might have been in her as she always comes back down after food.

rmschilling

Reaction score
Oh good, I was really hoping someone would tell me that was the case. I read some forums saying either they just do it because they need to poop, or they're doing it because there's an air bubble or something else inside their stomach. I'll leave him alone then, would it be safe to feed him do you think?

Karayna

Reaction score
I was about to post about the same problem! My girl is able to put all four feet on the bottom, but her butt keeps lifting off (on purpose??). She ate 1.5 earthworm this morning. I think she's just swallowed some air to be able to float and explore, as she's been swimming around slowly and doing silly poses.

I hope your axie is well! Try feeding, if he doesn't want it he will refuse it or spit it out. Just keep an eye on it!

rmschilling

Reaction score
That's exactly what mine's been doing!
He's doing fine now though, so I think he just wanted to take a poo or had some extra air in there. I decided to feed him as well, and he's eating just fine :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!