Axolotl with pink gills

Mouse Mason

Reaction score
Country
England
Recently my axoltl has developed very pink gills (they're both a bit pink/red, but Skipper is lighter so its more obvious). they're still small (about 3 inches I think), so it could just be that they're going to have pink gills, but I just wanted to check it wasn't an illness of any kind. Also, they seem to ne swimming into the glass of the tank quite a lot (but are calm other than that)- is that anything to worry about?

Attachments

• 20170416_233230.jpg
    20170416_233230.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 490
  • 20170416_233250.jpg
    20170416_233250.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 376
They look just beautiful. Their gills are like lungs and have a lot of blood vessels. When they are moving around and are using more oxygen their gills will get pink or red, thus moving oxygen through the blood.

As for running into things, it is a common axi trait. They don't see very well and are not the most graceful of animals. It's part of their charm.

I hate to be the one to point it out but if your rocks are not secured to the bottom of your tank your babies will soon be able to swallow them. They suck food up to eat. The rocks will get sucked up with food and could cause it to die. If they aren't attached you should switch it out as soon as possible. The rule is to make the decor bigger than their head so they can't ingest it.

Thank you for replying- that is a relief! I've always thought Skipper's gills were pretty- just as long as they weren't ill, which you be now confirmed they're not!

I know about the rocks- but thank you for reminding me :) Theyre not quite big enough to swallow them, but we're trying to find some sand asap, and should be able to get it by this weekend, so all is well!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back