Plea for help

Austin welsh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya and a plea for help

Hi, I've owned the same fire belly newts for the last 7 years and now they have started breeding. Some eggs are in the tank and some have hatched. My set up is a 3ft tank with a quarter fill of water and rocks for climbing and dry land. I have no idea how to care for the new babies. There is algae in the tank which is why I was cleaning it but it appears that the babies are eating it. The two adults are feeding on blood worm. If anyone is in the UK and can call me with advice, please pm me and I'll give you my number. Cheers, si

Hiya ladies and gents. I have owned my 2 fire belly newts for around 8 years now. In all that time they have never laid eggs or at least any that I've noticed. However today, I went to clean there tank out and noticed all the fake plants have around 7 eggs on along with 5 or 6 hatched newts. This is a shock and I've no idea after all this time why now they suddenly start laying eggs. I have no idea how to care for the young and need help. They are in a 3 ft tank with it quarter fill of water and with a central island of rocks to climb out of the water. I feed them blood worm. Many thanks.

Hi, welcome to the site. :)
First of all congrats on your belated eggs!
As you are new to raising newts I would strongly recommend leaving at least some of them in with their parents to begin with, there's normally enough natural micro food in an established aquarium to keep a few larvae well fed until they are big enough to accept more easily available things. If you don't have any at the moment I would also advise you to get some live plants. The cheap, bunched stuff they sell in pet shops is ideal and along with helping encourage the micro food to flourish, they will also be much appreciated by the newts for egg laying and also just generally hanging out in.
Here's an article from Caudata Culture all about raising baby newts, but don't be afraid to ask any Q's if there's anything you are unsure of. :)

Caudata Culture Articles - Raising Newts and Salamanders from Eggs

Thanks so much for the help. They seem really happy in the tank at the moment. Not sure what they're eating but they seem to be thriving.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back