Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hi everyone, concerned beginner axie owner here!

jgrillo1997

Reaction score
Hello, I'm hoping I'll be able to find some answers and solutions for some of my concerns, along with becoming a member of the community here!

I recently got a juvenile axie dumped on me, he is about 4 inches long and has his limbs and gills, and I am concerned about his living conditions! The previous owner never checked water parameters and did not cycle his tank. He got here yesterday and today I went out and got the testing kit and the levels were as followed:

pH - 7.6
Ammonia - .25 ppm
Nitrite - .25 ppm
Nitrate - 10 ppm
Water Temp 65 degrees F.

He seems to be hanging out around the top of the tank for the most part (which I thought odd considering they're bottom dwellers I heard?) and will only eat bloodworms handfed. He is in a 10 gallon tank at the moment with no filter, and I am really not sure what to do to improve his situation.

Should I buy another tank ASAP and start cycling it and then move him in when its ready? I would have to do some percentage of daily water changes in the meantime I presume. Any input would be great, I am new to axolotls and to aquatic pet keeping in general, but I would really like to keep this little guy happy and healthy! Thanks for any help that can be provided!:(

-Jericho

Last edited:

Amyglistens

Reaction score
Hi ya, generally speaking I wouldn't exspect him to be hanging out at the top with those readings. I'd do a 50% water change and invest in a filter with some live bio media to sort out the nitrite and ammonia levels. Does he look healthy otherwise? Are any of his gills missing?

jgrillo1997

Reaction score
Hi ya, generally speaking I wouldn't exspect him to be hanging out at the top with those readings. I'd do a 50% water change and invest in a filter with some live bio media to sort out the nitrite and ammonia levels. Does he look healthy otherwise? Are any of his gills missing?

Thanks for the response. He seems healthy, all gills are there. He's a little sluggish but I figured he could be a little stressed from the move, his gils are curled a bit.
I'm going to get a filter and new tank today and start cycling it. Any recommendation on a filter ?

Amyglistens

Reaction score
Depending on the size of the tank a sponge filter with a small powerhead and a spray bar would be ideal. If you can't get a spray bar to deter the current you could always put some plants in the way to stop the flow.

axolotl27

Reaction score
In response to the gill curling, I could be wrong, but I think that often, after a move, axies often curl their gills. Nothing to worry about there.:happy:

Last edited:

jgrillo1997

Reaction score
Unfortunately I didn't see your reply about the filter until after I had already bought one today...
I got a Fluval 20 Power Filter. My plan was to place a rock beneath the waterfall in order to disperse the flow as I have read that this does just fine. He is in a 10 gallon tank.
I should be able to get substrate for the new tank in order to start the 6-8 week cycling process. Until then I'm assuming I should do full water changes once or twice a week?

And thank you for the response about gill curling, I appreciate it!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1