Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl gills

axynewbie

Reaction score
Long time watcher first time poster! I recently (1 week) moved my axy into a new tank and now one side of his gills looks weird, can't explain it, kind of frayed? I've been looking through the threads and I'm pretty sure it's not fungal or ammonia but at a loss as to wether they're normal or not, or what to do! Will post a pic but don't think they're that clear, will try for a better pic today if needed!
pmpftDjvj

Is the gills on the left as you're looking, can see them in the reflection, gills on other side are fine!

Thanks in advance for any advice/info on what it could be!

axynewbie

Reaction score
They look relatively normal but just a bit off, I'm really struggling to explain and get a decent pic, it's like, if I crimped my hair? Looks like someone's been styling his 'hair' he's fine in himself, eating and pooing fine, will try and get a clearer photo when the man is back from work - his camera is better and might even have a macro option

Amyglistens

Reaction score
The slight fraying could be a little sign of stress from moving into his new tank. but from what I can see he looks to be ok. If your water tests are coming back clear then give him time and he'll be fine

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1