Photo: What did we find?

oarfish

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all!

So, I have 2 kids and each spring we start a science project with some local critters and watch them transform, and when they're adults we release them back where we found them. Last year we found caterpillars. This year while wandering around my mom's pond we found "frog eggs" that turned out to be salamander eggs!

A few days after we found them:
attachment.php

The day they began to hatch:
attachment.php

1 week old (4/26/17):
attachment.php

I did some quick reading once I realized they weren't frogs and scooped up 3 gallons of pond water full of daphnia for my tank. My salamanders seem to be eating well. However, I would like some advice from the experts here. What's the best way to keep them thriving? Anyone know what species we found? We are in the western end of WV. Judging by the time of year, and the bit of research I've done, my best guess is Spotted Salamanders.

Also, I have them with some frog/toad tadpoles. Is it okay to raise them together, or is it better if I separate them?

Attachments

• Pic 1 resize.jpg
    Pic 1 resize.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 261
  • Pic 2 resize.jpg
    Pic 2 resize.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 231
  • Pic 3 resize.jpg
    Pic 3 resize.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
Those certainly look like spotted salamander larva to me. Of course, a lot of species look pretty similar while they're so young.

Definitely separate them from the frog tadpoles as soon as possible, never mind the fact that tadpoles and salamander larva can even be cannibalistic towards their own kind due to competition reasons, keeping two different species together would be... troublesome, to say the least.

I haven't raised spotted salamanders specifically, but I do know they tend to go through metamorphosis fairly quickly, within about six weeks. Plenty of cover is important, as well as small, live food like your daphnia.

Most of what i know is kind of general/obvious, but this article seems to go nicely in depth on what you can do to keep them healthy and alive.

Good luck! It's so cool that you're doing this with your children, it's such a fun and educational activity. I'de love it if you kept us updated on your project!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back