Questions about salamander care

GooeyLouie95

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone, I just got my first tiger salamander about a week ago, and it's going great. But I have some questions about taking care her that I didn't see on any care sheets:

1) Is it a young or mature adult? She's fully metamorphosed. She's about six inches long from nose to tail and about 1 inch wide at her fattest. Her head is the same width as her fattest point. I actually don't know for sure if it's old enough to tell the sex, but the cloaca is flat a a pancake, so I'm going with she for now.

2) Are earthworms from bait shops or walmart safe? I'm worried they'll have bacteria or something else harmful in them. Are there any species/brands of earthworms that are NOT safe for her to eat?

3) How big should she be before I feed her her first tiny pinky? And how often should pinkies be fed? Maybe 1 or 2 per month?

4) During winter when it starts getting into the 30s-40s (Fahrenheit) should I do something to warm her up or just let her hibernate in the cold? And at what temperature would it be necessary to warm her up? I have a small heating pad for under the tank, is that a good way to heat her?

Sorry for the lengthy questions, but I want to make sure to keep her as healthy as possible. Thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back