Question: Heat lamp on tank

ThisFish

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is not for an axolotl tank but I thought some of you might have advice.

I got some zebra danios today to put in a tank I'm moving my lotls into later (I'll move them out when lotls come) I got home and put them in the aquarium not really giving any consideration to the temperature of the tank which is about 60 -65 degrees. When I put them in the tank they became sluggish and just sat on the bottom. I ran upstairs and got an old heat lamp and put it on a screen lid so it wouldn't melt my plastic aquarium lid. The danios are doing better now but is there any danger in warming an aquarium with a heat lamp? I've never seen anyone else do it and was wondering if this is for a reason.

Here is how it's set up

fc4cf93619b17f3cf6300e357139af8c.jpg

c89c593c6e33f2370766294af5af21e4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As some one with experince with tropical fish I'd just get a heater for the tank. Dianos may not need it super warm (mine are happy at 77-79 F), but I'm worried about the heat lamp shorting out given the mesh top.
Heaters tend not to be too expensive and unlike a heat lamp have auto-shut offs when the target temperature is reach (may take some fiddling on to work out where the dial needs to be).

Last edited:
It's fine for hardy fish like danios, but an aquarium heater would be better. A heater warms the water more evenly, has thermostat control, and uses less electricity. Plus the fish won't like having the light on 24 hours a day, or nighttime temperature swings if you turn it off.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back