Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Can't get my pregnant california newt to eat

richardss09

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently got 2 California Newt's and they are having a hard time adapting to their new environment. I did not know that one was pregnant before getting her, and she has been laying eggs. I have not been able to get her to eat, and I know that laying eggs is energetically expensive and I have tried everything; and I am worried about her well being. The other one I have, now not entirely sure on the sex, since I thought they were both boys... he has been eating here and there and I am not too worried about him as much.

Is it normal for her to not be eating during this time? Should I be more persistent on feeding her the food myself or just give it some more time?

I have never had amphibians before, and I am really excited but just want to make sure everything is okay.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the site. :)

Sometimes, egg laying females aren't always interested in food, but normally will be hungry in between. I would just ensure their tank is as close to ideal as possible and the water quality is perfect to help them adjust and try to tempt her with chopped nightcrawler or live blackworms.

Caudata Culture Species Entry - Taricha torosa

richardss09

Reaction score
Thank you for your response!

I am going to go back to the pet-store tomorrow to see if I can mix up their food choice and hopefully get her to eat, the tank is stocked with meal worms for now but I take them out after about 24 hours if neither of them are interested

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mealworms are a very poor choice for newts. They are very hard for them to digest and virtually worthless nutritionally. I would either dig for some, or go to a bait store/Walmart and get someCanadian nightcrawlers, they can be left in overnight and removed in the morning if not eaten without fouling the water too much.
If the newts came from the a pet store they will be wild caught and very stressed, you need to offer the most tempting things you can to help them recover and adapt to captivity.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1