Question: Axolotl having to be hand fed?

KieraStrawberry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was hoping someone here would know what I should do here?

Sorry for the vague title, but I couldn't think of a better one. I got my axolotl Tiger about two months ago, and I was told he was about 9 months old. He was great when I first got him and eager to eat his food, however for the past two weeks he hasn't wanted to eat food off the aquarium floor or from the bowl I usually put his food in; I've had to use a turkey baster to pick it up and drop it in front of his face for him to eat it!

I checked with the man I got him from, and I'm feeding him the same bloodworms that the man from the aquatics centre did, and all the tests I've done have said the ammonia and nitrite and pH are fine.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? Does he just want to be hand fed? Or maybe he likes live food and hand feeding him the bloodworm makes them seem like they're alive?
Hopefully someone has some advice for me :happy:

9 months old, so he'd be around 11 months now.... about how big is he? It could be that it's time to upgrade him to real worms, which would be good anyways, as they're live and will wiggle for him.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back