Question: Axolotl memory

Wildwillis

Reaction score
Country
Canada
A curious question I have and it pertains to this short story. Over a month ago I was cleaning my axolotl tank, I had her in a bucket. When I came back 10 mins later she had jumped out, she wasn't injured but was agitated. Lessons learned I won't take her out when cleaning. Now over a month later her personality has changed, she will move for food but other than that she sits at the back of the tank behind her rock structure. She use to swim around and enjoyed floating and resting on plants, especially so her head was just out of the water. Now I haven't seen her resting in the upper half of the tank once. She is not active. I don't think shes injured. So my questions is do axolotls hold onto memories from traumatic experiences? Has that experience made her fear me or fear being taken out of the tank?

Hi ya
That's a good question. They definitely have some kind of ability to recognise us. But in terms of being able to retain a traumastic incident it's not out of the realm of possibility. Having said that, if she's not swimming around much I would pin it more on her possibly having an internal injury that's taking time to regenerate. They're so fragile. Even the slightest knock can cause damage. They're bottom dwellers and love dark spaces so I wouldn't worry about her hiding behind her rock. Honestly I'd be more concerned if she was floating near the top and not eating.
Is she an adult or a juvenile? The only reason I ask is juveniles are a lot more active then adults and will slow down as they get older and tend not to swim around as much.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back