Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help-stressed vs unstressed axolotl?

taakotacco

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a new axie owner (have had Howl for three weeks, he's a two-inch juvenile), and I just was wondering--I know the signs of stress for an axolotl is gills curled forward, tail curved, but I'm just a much better visual learner and I would love to see a photo comparison of a stressed and unstressed axies?

I am by no means encouraging someone to stress out theirs to take a picture, but if someone already had a photo on hand or knew of a thread or url to any picture comparison, I would really appreciate it. Mostly because I really can't tell if Howl's gills are curled forward or just at their normal position--I only have the one, and as he's so small I don't really know what to compare his gills to. If that makes sense.

Thank you !!

Mkaye91

Reaction score
I would also appreciate that! I have one and I can't tell if he's actually stressed or if his gills are just like that...

taakotacco

Reaction score
Thank you so much ! Yeah, my little two incher seems to always have his gills slightly forward--hopefully its not because he's always stressed ! :confused: He seems otherwise fine though, and eats well, so I'm hoping its just the way his gills are positioned right now as he's so young

Mkaye91

Reaction score
bhSV8

So would this be considered forward turned?

Karayna

Reaction score

So would this be considered forward turned?

The link didn't work since it's an album URL. I copied it into my browser though, so it worked!

The melanoid might have slightly forward turned gills in the first pic, could also be natural since they're quite long. Second pic looks fine. Any other signs of stress? What about the tail tip?

Karayna

Reaction score
my little two incher seems to always have his gills slightly forward--

My 2.5" copper baby also has forward turned gills, but is perfectly happy and healthy. Loves exploring the tank and is always eager to beg when I get near. If they eat, poop and have straight tails, it's fine! He shares the tank with another baby who has slightly more "relaxed" gills. Both looked the same back home at their breeder's!

Attachments

• 20170504_185049.jpg
    20170504_185049.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 854

Mkaye91

Reaction score
They both love food, are more active than I anticipated, and poop a lot. Also no tail curl whatsoever. I wondered if he might just look like that since he has such lush gills but as a new axie mommy I'm terrified of everything right now. :wacko:

Karayna

Reaction score
They both love food, are more active than I anticipated, and poop a lot. Also no tail curl whatsoever. I wondered if he might just look like that since he has such lush gills but as a new axie mommy I'm terrified of everything right now. :wacko:

I think it's all fine, then. :) You'll get to know their behavior and quirks over time, so I'm sure you will be able to notice if something seems off in the future! Best of luck to you and your cuties!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!