Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Stress? Or just floppy gills?

Reaction score
a76af43ca994aacb49b02efc3d70569c.jpg
7621218764a970f34a96caff636140bf.jpg
13c31899c8aa6df2694692c0f9f7df42.jpg

Hi! I've had my baby boy (?) Petey for about 4 months. He's grown 3 inches in the time I've had him!

I've noticed that he has longish gills, and sometimes they point forward? But then sometimes they're straight up, and sometimes they point backwards. They also get pushed back when he walks, if that makes a difference. And when he's sitting still, sometimes he'll sorta swish them around, which I read was how he takes in air.

My question is: are the pointed gills because of stress? Or is it just because they're big/floppy? His tail isn't curled, and he's eating fine (he's a very good eater, right now he has about 12 small pellets a day! He's 5-6" so if that isn't enough please let me know! I don't want to over or underfeed!)

My parameters are good, I do water changes at least once a week, sometimes a bit more if the tank starts getting warm.

Which brings me to my other concern, temperature. Right now my tank is about 70 degrees Fahrenheit. It's getting warmer here (western NC, Appalachian mountains), and it's making his tank a bit warm. I have two fans on and sometimes add ice made from tank water or so water changes to help cool it. The temperature changes though, it's been as low as 55 (winter, immediately warmed the tank when I saw that ?) and once as high as 72. Normally it's 60-70, and is kinda hanging out around 66-70 right now. Is this possibly causing him stress?

I don't have the money or space for a chiller, so if the temperature is upsetting him, is there anything I can do to fix it?

This is kinda long lol so thanks for reading it! I welcome any and all advice!

Sorry if the pics are a bit blurry! It's hard to get good side views because whenever I go near the tank he turns to look at me ? I had to zoom in from far away lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1