Gas bubbles, help?

oarfish

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all. I have 13 salamander larvae that are around 1 month old. I have no clue what kind they are as I collected them as eggs from my mom's pond thinking they were frog eggs.

Here's the problem. I had 3 toad tadpoles with my salamanders. I had read that during metamorphosis, toads secret a toxic substance which prevents other tadpoles from forming. I didn't fact check. I decided it was time to clean the tank anyways, and what harm could happen? I took my larvae out of the tank. I did a 50% water change and ran my fish filter for about an hour. I'd done this once before with no adverse effects. While waiting for a chance to go to the pond for more daphnia, I fed my larvae frozen bloodworms for 3 days. Most of them seemed to be doing fine. 3 days later two of my larvae were belly up.

It's been a week now and they're still alive, but still belly up. I had them in isolation for 3 days at first, and when they were swimming belly down I re-introduced them back to the tank. They went belly up again overnight so I took them back out for isolation. After 4 days they were doing fine again so I re-introduced them last night. They were belly up this morning with huge gas bubbles, so I took them out again.

I'm worried about my little babies. Everyone else is doing great, but these two guys are struggling to stay alive. I've been trying to feed them frozen bloodworms and daphnia, but they don't seem to eat much. Does anyone have any advice?

Attachments

• 20170513_093504.jpg
    20170513_093504.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 143
  • 20170513_093458.jpg
    20170513_093458.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 99
Put them in a separate tank and make sure the water parameters are normal. Hopefully the problem will right itself.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back