Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fungus on my axolotl plus white dots

katy180

Reaction score
Hello, I inherited two axolotyls one white (Lottie) and one black (Axel) they are 5-6 years old and both are about ten inches long, Lottie is fine and eating but Axel hasn't eaten really for 3 weeks maybe, he has like furry fungus around his front legs and whiteness under her chin, and very slight fungus on the back of her hind legs. The other day i went to feed Axel and her mouth gaped opened hugely, like 3 times like we would if we were wreaching, not seen it since. Att one point i touched her lightly coz i thought she was dead. i then fridged her for 2 days but then saw the salt bathing for fungus, which i've done twice last night and this morning, I'll do it 2 a day. Shes is back in tank. I'm worried and hope I doing the right thing. Lottie is fine and they live in the same tank. I got a new filter and water is sparkly clean people kept saying that so i didn't do the water change for 2-3 weeks and they both went off there food, i then went to do a water change and the water was bad, after the change they both started eating again, then shortly after Axel stopped eating. I know it's probably my fault and I feel dreadful, Am I on the right track please?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1