Illness/Sickness: Tumor in axolotl

nani

Reaction score
Country
Hungary
Dear All,

I have two axolotls, a leucistic and a wild type, they are about 5 five years old, they live in a large, cca. 120 l aquarium.
I am very worried about the wild one, because in the past 2 months she grew a big lump next to her mouth (see pictures). First I thought it's only a small node that will soon disappear but it doesn't seem to stop growing. Moreover, in the past few weeks she stopped eating and I also see a gradual deterioration in her gills, they became shorter and have less and less filaments.
Also, as you may see on one of the pictures something is also going on with her eye, I can't really tell what, it seems as she had cataracts. She had this kind of thing before, but that recovered within a couple of weeks.

I regularly check the water quality for nitrite/nitrate levels, and that proved to fine.

Our other little guy seems to be doing good, eating well, and looking good.

Does anyone have a clue as to what could be going on with our little guy? I couldn't find any literature on tumors in axolotls...Could it be caused by some kind of infection in the water, and only she's affected? should the water quality be checked for bacteria/viruses too?
Is the eye condition something any of you have encountered before? Because this doesn't seem to recover this time, and I can't really tell how it's affecting her sight...

All ideas and suggestions are greatly welcome!

Thank you!

Attachments

• FXT13237.jpg
    FXT13237.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 242
  • FXT13238.jpg
    FXT13238.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 203
  • 20170516_090335.jpg
    20170516_090335.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 204
Did you find out what this was? How is the axolotl?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back