Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Any good toads for captivity? Toad breeders out there?

XenopusLaevis

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering what toads do you think do well in captivity? I'd rather not keep something smaller than the american toads-- though I might make an exception for Oak toads- but the problem with them is I heard they live only 2-4 years tops.

I like the idea of american toads, cane toads, colorado river toads, rococo toads(which I never find for sale-- ever) but I have yet to seen any of them be captive bred...

Problem with most W/C stuff is that they don't always adapt well to captivity and they come with parasite loads. I once had a cane toad and it died 30-40minutes after it had gone home. It looked "okay" when I picked it up, but it suddenly turned for the worse when it spewed a big white glob which I assume was a parasite load- and died on the spot.

I could do fecal exam (provided by the vet) but it would be rather pricey if it dies after the exam....

I used to live in an area that had lots of cane toads and they were surprisingly bold. People hate them over there as they're highly invasive and screw up the ecosystem . But any ive seen in captivity didn't seem to do well, or died soon after....

I was thinking maybe id buy an albino woodhouse toad as that would mean captive bred but I havent found one in a long time.

Purpletotodile

Reaction score
In my opinion the best toad is a cane/marine toad. Plenty of people also own Japanese common toads, bufo japonicus. The best place to get a toad is a reptile show, but there's a 50/50 chance they won't have one.

XenopusLaevis

Reaction score
In my opinion the best toad is a cane/marine toad. Plenty of people also own Japanese common toads, bufo japonicus. The best place to get a toad is a reptile show, but there's a 50/50 chance they won't have one.

Cane toads would be the best if they were captive bred and/or at least long term captives before being sold and made sure they had a fecal exam done + medicated. I think I heard some places charge less if you bring a large quantity of animals in... I dont know or some kind of discount with small animals like that. Like they'd only charge for the one.

Never seen the japanese common toads for sale... As for reptile shows, they're quite far from where I live... and if it's a 50/50 chance it seems like a waste almost to just get the chance to -maybe- see a toad...

Besides I'd like to be able to get a 100% chance to be able to see reviews on the seller/breeder before making a decision... considering traveling through breeders is like a land mine... There are a lot of bad reptile & amphibian breeders/sellers... I can name 10-15 right off the tip of my hand... and the thing is they can seem good at first but when you get to deal with them you get screwed. I make it a habit that if I buy something, I only deal with well established sellers and in this case breeders with a repertoire of positive sales for years. This is how I know I am not going to be screwed over.

Local Pet Stores aren't an option because quite frankly, the workers are only there to make a quick buck- and so are the owners usually which is rather sad.

I have yet to own something from a petstore that hasn't died within the first few days.... Ranging from fish, to frogs, to a couple of snakes...

I had a cane toad who I got from a local "reputable" pet store who people swore by only that I'd have it throw up a glob of white goopy grossness and die immediately....

Actually only one thing survived from a petstore, an african clawed frog I bought like years ago and it survived somehow

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!