Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick Axie - At wits end!!

tgook

Reaction score
Back Story:So I've had my axolotl for 3 months. From the get go I have had issues. He had a swollen cloaca the second day and I ended up putting him in a 10g hospital tank for 4 days of Furan 2 treatment. He seemed better for about 3 weeks and then started to go down hill. I had him in my classroom but brought him home 3 weeks ago to monitor him more closely (note: I am new to axolotl, not aquariums so water parameters are.constantly checked and fine, temp under 68. Closer to 65 unless super hot). Last week he was having problems With floating all the time and hadn't eaten in over a week. He was getting very skinny and I waz afraid near death so I tubbed him and fridges him for 4 days.

He has been out for 4 days now. His appetite came back but he never poops. Ive seen him poop maybe 4 times in 3 months and only 2 looked "normal"

I got a text from my Mom today with a video of my axie looking like he was trying to throw up. She said he did it twice that she saw today.

When I got home and went to do his daily water change I noticed two things. One, he either threw up or had very slimy poop. Two, he had a bit of clearish fungus on a hill.

What could be going on?! I honestly am at wits end. What should I do for him? I have invested hundreds of dollars on this guy and haven't been able to enjoy him because I am always worried he is going to die.

Any help would be appreciated!

First pic shows the fungus as best I can on top, left gill. Second pic shows slimy, clear goo coming from cloaca after water change. Last pic shows what I believe to be either slimy, sickly poo or vomit.

Attachments

• 20170523_184215.jpg
    20170523_184215.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 20170523_195422.jpg
    20170523_195422.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 20170523_184156.jpg
    20170523_184156.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 65
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1