Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Keeping cool in the summer

ShaQuL

Reaction score
Hello,

Has anyone got any tips on how to keep my ambystoma mavortium cool? Summer has finally come to UK and the temperature in my lil' Arizona's tank is getting slightly too high for his and my comfort. I tried misting more often, but I'm worried that that will make the substrate too wet.

Any tips?

Thanks.

ShaQuL

Reaction score
Nope, no basement. I managed it by putting him in the shaded part of my room though, I checked out the link you gave me and it seems to be for water aquariums not a terrestrial tiger tank. Will some of these still work for it?

Demitami

Reaction score
Nope, no basement. I managed it by putting him in the shaded part of my room though, I checked out the link you gave me and it seems to be for water aquariums not a terrestrial tiger tank. Will some of these still work for it?
It's very hot in China during summer as well...So i use some ice pack to put above my tank while i leave for work and turn on AC when i get back.It should keep the temperature lower then 32℃ in the tank.

Methos5K

Reaction score
It's time to invest in some AC folks. The planet isn't going to get cooler ya know. We have the technology now. Keep your sallys and yourself cool. It's the only way to go :cool:

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
The cooler with ice packs or ice in it with hoses running to a set up works for terrestrial. A small fan blows the cool air out. Evaporative cooling with a fan works for a fairly wet terrestrial set up. The problem is it can quickly dry out the set up.

You can use a wine fridge year round or fridge for the summer. Some people reverse seasons by fridging for the summer and bringing the sals out in the winter.

The only cooling I use is cooling fans mostly on aquatic sals, a chiller on aquatic sals, and air conditioner. I spend the money on summer cooling that I save over the winter by keeping the house cool.

I realize in some places people don't use much air conditioning and it would be very difficult to keep salamanders cool.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1