Question: Can you do too many water changes?

yonykins

Reaction score
Country
United States
My 25g tank is cycled, with 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite. However, I'm having problems with nitrate and it reads 40 no matter what I do. Last week I did a 30% change on Thursday and again on Sunday. When I took a reading after Sunday, it was still at 40. Should I do an extra change again this week? Or is it better not to stress my axie?

As a side note, I have plants in the tank and am thinking I should get Ivy and hang the roots in to suck up some nitrates.

I have a similar issue with nitrates, have you tested your tap water? My tap water sits at around 55ppm so I will never get below 40 on a water change.

Plant's are a massive help to this, I wouldn't worry too much and go about your weekly water changes as is normal.

What I ended up doing is half tap water, half RO (reverse Osmosis) water on every water change. So I take 40 litres out and replace it with 20 litres tap water and 20 litres RO water.

I've heard that you should never use purely RO water as the lack of minerals in the water can make the axolotls kidneys work overtime.

Hope this helps

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back