Looking to import (Trinidad)

Syn

Reaction score
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
So, in Trinidad, there are no axolotls. I want to change that. I'm aware of the CITES regulations and I am working with local authorities to obtain import permits on my end. From what I understand, the exporter would also need a CITES permit..
Does anyone know of exporters (preferably within the USA - to minimize shipping cost and time) that have a CITES permit?

I am thinking that shipping a large number of eggs would be easier and safer than shipping live specimen. I will be working with a student run Biological Society in my university to hatch and raise them. But, I am open to other suggestions.

JUst a stab, but is it at all possible there are axies there already at the university or any research labs? I don't really know what they have in Trinidad, but they do have a university.

Unfortunately, no. I am in university currently and I did a lot of searching already. The only mention of them was from an individual who was trying to bring them in person into the country, but was unsuccessful because of the high license and shipping costs.
My approach is to get as many interested people as I can (investors basically) to split that cost.

I am also willing to work with hobbyist breeders, and cover costs of export permits for a shipment.

I don't know who might be into exportation , or if it's even allowed anymore. Maybe some biological labs that sell lab animals? THey might have experience in this area. There are labs in the US that sell animals.

Exportation is allowed once the exporting party applies for the permits, but I realize it takes a while in the US.
I also did some looking at labs. I came across the Ambystoma Genetic Stock Center, but they will only sell to registered, affiliated, educational institutions, and specifically for education and research only, not as pets.
Do you know of any others I could try?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back