Help! When can I put my 2 axolotls together?

RamenNewtls

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
RamenNewtls
Hi! I'm a new axie owner and I have 2 at the moment.
Benedeeto is a 6 inch wild type and Moriarty is a 3.5 inch gfp leucistic.
They're in the same tank with a see through divider right now. I'm wondering if I'll ever be able to put them together without the divider. Even though the size difference is only 2.5 inches I'm too much of a noob to know for sure if it'll work out.
I've heard of the cannibalistic stage which supposedly ends at 6 inches, but I've also heard that there is no stage, and that it happens their whole life. Or maybe there is no real stage and it's really that they'll attack anything that moves in front of their face. I also hear that their cannibalistic nature depends on how they were raised when they're young.
I got Benny about 6 months ago from the same pet store that I got Moriarty from (I got moriarty a few days ago)
At the pet store there were multiple axies to a tank, which weren't so big, but there were no signs of bites or missing parts of either axolotls, except that moriartys back leg is slightly smaller than the other.
I think that as they get older, I'll try upgrading to a bigger tank to give more space, but I'd love some input if you guys have any. Thanks!

Attachments

• P_20170527_155456.jpg
    P_20170527_155456.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 330
  • P_20170526_224659_NT.jpg
    P_20170526_224659_NT.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 162
  • P_20170527_153500_NT.jpg
    P_20170527_153500_NT.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 278
Moriarty looks small enough that he/she could fit into Benedeeto's mouth. I wouldn't risk it personally!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back