Question: New Owner - Cycling

KaylaLK

Reaction score
Country
United States
So...due to some testing and tank issues, my tank is not currently cycled. I've got an axie coming in in a few days and I'm in need of some advice.

Some background:
I've got a 20gallon tall tank (I know long is preferred, but my axie will be the only thing in this tank, and I'll get a long if an opportunity arises). Temp stays right at 68 (and that's without the screen lid and fan, as I have to cut the screen lid to fit the filter although that will be done soon). HOB Filter, have a sponge shoved in it so flow is nice and soft.

Anywho. My ammonia level is right at almost .5ppm (or below, the test is a bit unclear and goes only in .5 increments). Little to no nitrites or nitrates. My pH also seems a little high but this test is somewhat unclear too.

I've got one live plant in there (a small java fern) and I have crypt spiralis I can add, as well as old tank media.

My questions are is it safe to put an incoming axie in? And if so what exactly needs to be done on a daily basis to insure its health? Different sources seem to vary info for me.

Two, does adding additional old media help rather than just a fake plant or two? (Unfortunately, the guppies from the previous tank were on pebbled substrate, but I think some of the bigger pebbles would be fine until the axie gets bigger?)

What can I do about my pH?

Finally, I've heard it would be okay to leave the axie in the water it arrives in until the tank gets better, is this true?

I had originally added Tetra Safestart but it didn't seem to help? I might buy a second bottle of it since it seems to be either a hit or miss.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance! Sorry for the huge block of text, I just want to make sure I'm doing this right.

This is almost the exact same state I was in. Yes it is, you would need to do daily water changes and always make sure he is looking OK. You can also put him in a small tank with 100% daily water changes(probably stress him/her out) and add a source of ammonia into your tank. The media from your other tank is a great idea but, in terms of safestart I wouldn't risk it. sometimes the artificial bacteria will set you back months in your cycle.

Hope I could help!

- My questions are is it safe to put an incoming axie in? And if so what exactly needs to be done on a daily basis to insure its health? Different sources seem to vary info for me.

Probably not... The axolotl is already stressed from shipping and putting him/her in a tank with high ammonia is going to cause further stress/injury. I would do a separate tub and research tubing methods.

- Two, does adding additional old media help rather than just a fake plant or two? (Unfortunately, the guppies from the previous tank were on pebbled substrate, but I think some of the bigger pebbles would be fine until the axie gets bigger?)

Adding old media is a great idea to seed bacteria to help with your cycling tank. Are the fake plants from a cycled tank? If they are, adding them is a good idea too as they will have beneficial bacteria too. You would be surprised what axolotls can fit in their mouths so I would avoid the pebbles...

- What can I do about my pH?

How high is it? Axolotls are fairly tolerant to a wide range of PHs.

- Finally, I've heard it would be okay to leave the axie in the water it arrives in until the tank gets better, is this true?

NO!!! It is not OK! The axolotl has been in that water for anywhere from 1-4 day releasing waste products.[FONT=Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] When you open the bag, the influx of oxygen rapidly converts any waste products to deadly ammonia[FONT=Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]. I would be surprised if an axolotl left in only bag water would survive.[/FONT][/FONT]

- I had originally added Tetra Safestart but it didn't seem to help? I might buy a second bottle of it since it seems to be either a hit or miss.

I have not used these types of products because they seem to cause stability issues long term.

I hope your new axolotl does well!

Thank you both for the replies! I've transferred fake plants and the filter media from the old tank.

I was wondering though-My old tank is completely cycled and is 5gallons. It previously held guppies in it, but given that I do a major water change in it, would it be okay to keep the axie in it until the 20gal is cycled? The axie's only about 4" so the tank wouldn't be super small for her/him in the time it takes for the larger tank to cycle.

I believe the ph is fine now actually. 7.6 or so. I won't be adding more safestart, but if I'm switching the axie over to my 5gal I need to work on cooling it. (It currently is still sitting at guppy temperature.) I feel like that might be easier on it then keeping it in a tub and doing daily 100% changes?

The 5g should be fine! Just keep doing daily water tests to make sure the ammonia doesn't creep up.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back