To fridge or not to fridge

Brittmarie24

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I'm a new owner of a baby axolotl. I got him about 2 weeks ago and for the first week, everything was great. Then the past 3 days he started floating at the top of the water.

I checked the nitrate levels, ammonia levels, all is normal. I put in some water balancing treatment just to make sure.
NOTE: The first few days I had a bit of a current issue, since I was not expecting to get a baby, I had a 20 gallon set up (ran for 3 weeks before getting him) with whisper filter set on low (it hardly puts out any current). However, this plus my fans made enough of a current it seemed to irritate the little guy so I have been turning the filter upwards, I don't know if this could affect the water quality or not. His temp is usually around 65.5 degrees F.

Today, he is still at the top, and I am thinking now that he may be bloated since I was feeding him at the top of the tank since he ignored the brine shrimp (what the online store said they were feeding him) and I started using tweezers to feed him tiny pieces of night crawlers. He gets REALLY excited over the pieces of night crawlers and once or twice jumped out of the water at my hand before I could fully submerge it. I think he swallowed some air.

Should I try the fridge treatment? I am kinda scared to do this if I'm being honest. Would it be ok just to put cold water bottles in with him?? What temp am I aiming at if I just do water bottles and not the fridge?

THANK YOU!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back