Curled Gills?

AshleyND

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I've had my two golden albino axolotls for 5 months now and they are doing wonderful. They are healthy and there is no problems with their tank, but their gills still curl forward. They have a 10 gallon filter and are in a 40 gallon tank so I know it's not water current. They show no other signs of stress either. So is it just how they are or could something else be going on to cause their gills to curl?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 618
  • IMG_1936.jpg
    IMG_1936.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 340
Gill curling as a stress sign is overrated, axolotls often do it when they are clearly unstressed

They're probably fine, but what's the temperature of the water? Your axies could get stressed out due to the water being too warm. Try to keep the water between roughly 58 and 60 degrees fahrenheit. I'm sure your axies will be okay c:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back