Question: Can I leave my axolotl without food for 5 days?? URGENT

debadog

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm going on holiday tomorrow for 5 days. I didn't manage to find anyone who could take care of my axolotl, or who I would actually trust to, so I just kind of assumed he would be okay being left without worms for 5 days.

He is around 7 inches long and roughly about a year old. I don't think he's sexually mature or adult as he will happily eat worms every day, and I heard that adults only eat 1 or 2 worms a week.

I know it was stupid to leave it this last minute but is he too young to leave without food for 5 days? I've been trying to give him extra recently to fatten him up a bit but he's still quite a healthy size and not fat. I thought he'd be fine but now i'm worried...advice please!

[EDIT] I found my answer, sorry for clogging up the forum! If anyone is interested, here it is:

Assuming that you have a well-established cycled tank that is set up with filtration and aeration, and that you have healthy axolotls of a reasonable body condition, you can safely leave adult axolotls unfed for up to one and a half weeks without any harm. Healthy juvenile axolotls that have fully developed hind legs can be left unattended in a well established tank for up to a week. Axolotl larvae would require daily care and should never be left unattended for any duration.

Last edited:
回复: Can I leave my axolotl without food for 5 days?? URGENT

Also apologies as I have already asked about holiday advice but I would really appreciate a response regarding leaving him without food for the holiday period. Thanks!

Do you have any friends that can come in once a week and just feed them? or maybe a pet sitter come in like that?

Axolotls in the wild can go for up to 2 weeks without food as they are opportunistic eaters!
Feed it up and then get the temperature down to 15-16 (obviously only if possible) to lower it's metabolism and he/she should be fine!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back