Axolotl has not been eating for more than 2 months

natka

Reaction score
Country
United States
Please help me find the solution or at least brainstorm ideas....
I have been a responsible owner of two female sixes for more than 2 years. I take care of them very well (no gravel, etc) Few months ago due to hot weather my melanoid got fungus on her right gill. I gave her 1 salt bath for just 15 min. The fungus was gone and she went back to the fish tank. Around that time she stopped eating and has not been eating since then. Last time I saw her eat was at the end of March. :( I put her in a mini fridge at temp of 6-7 C and carefully followed instructions - one time for a week, another time for two weeks.. she didn't eat, she didn't poo....
Btw thr other axie eats well and is completely normal and active.
The sick axie is currently back in a tank and still not eating. If you look at her, she seems fine, she is not skinny, she swims a lot, although sometimes when she swims, it seems like her right gill is bothering her because she sort of tries to scratch it. Also she floats a lot but has no problem getting to the bottom. She goes to the surface more often than usual and gulps a big gulp of air. Also she has couple of white little spots on her face which I don't think she has before or at least they were not so visible ...:(
Her gills or tail are not curled forward, etc, I don't know why she doesn't eat. it's like she is on a brutal diet trying to get in shape for s summer season ...:)
My water parameters are ammonia 0, nitrite 0, PH 7.4, nitrate .just a little , water temp around 68-69 F

Any ideas?

These are pics of my axolotl

Attachments

• IMG_3965.jpg
    IMG_3965.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 447
  • IMG_3958.jpg
    IMG_3958.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_3962.jpg
    IMG_3962.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_3960.jpg
    IMG_3960.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 93
And some more pics

Attachments

• IMG_3963.jpg
    IMG_3963.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_3954.jpg
    IMG_3954.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 115
Wow she is really cute!

Im new to the forum, and to keeping axolotls, but I have kept fish fir a couple of years now, ...

Do you think maybe a fungal treatment would be advisable? If I'm right in thinking you've tried salt but not a specific fungicide. Just to see if those spots on her face clear up. And if she stops itching. I wonder if frequent breaths could indicate problems with her gills ��

I really hope she picks up. Have you tried so.e live food to tempt her to snap?? My axolotls seem much more enthused about wiggly earthworms than pellets...! (Although I know they are not nutritionally complete)

All the best x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back