Consistently shedding newt

California newt

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I just registered on the website last night but I am familiar with Caudata.org. However, I can't find anything to help me with this problem online. I've had my Hong Kong Warty newt for 5 years and this has only happened once in the past. He is a full grown newt so it couldn't be from growing. Anyway, since the beginning of last month, he has been shedoing constantly, at least once a week. Some sheds have been in pieces, but most have been whole sheds. He doesn't eat these sheds too like he does on a normale shed. Within the last 2 weeks, his sheds have also taken really long. The longest one lasting about 2 days. Any ideas? I have never had this happen to me before on the level it is right now.

I don't have an answer for you, but perhaps there is something off with the water parameters. Have you checked chemistry lately (specifically ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, though pH would be a good idea, too)? Does the skin under the shed look normal and healthy to you?

Also, are you noticing any other changes, such as a change in appetite or activity level? Any new lighting or exposure to other environmental conditions?

Perhaps the excessive shedding is secondary to something else so a review/ evaluation of current husbandry methods is in order. Best of luck!

HJ

Thank you for reaching out to me. I have not exposed him to any new lighting or environmental conditions. The shed looks bumpy and not smooth like his healthy sheds are and he is not eating them like he would a healthy shed. I will have to test my water and see if that is the problem. Again, thank you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back