Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Leucistic color variations intrigue?

rumsey232

Reaction score
Why do some leucistics appear to be a really yellow color while others remain white/pink?? Are yellow leucistic's merely a really light copper? Example pictures are from google.

Attachments

• Axolotl_leucistic_01.jpg
    Axolotl_leucistic_01.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 5,768
  • P1060928B.JPG
    P1060928B.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 1,125

auntiejude

Reaction score
You need to understand how the leucisitc gene works.
It is not actually a colour, it is a pattern where the pigments produces are restricted to the head and spine.
As such they can and still do produce a certain amount of xanthaphores (yellow/orange pigment).
Sometimes the leucisitc gene doesn't work properly, allowing pigment in places you wouldn't normally see it - like with piebalds. And this can apply to xanthaphores too, hence the all-over yellowish colour.
But once you add in the GFP gene (green fluorescent protein) that gives a general all-over yellow-green hue you get axies like the one in your picture.
And add to that the fact that some pellets, such as those with astaxanthin, can cause build up of pigment in the axies skin as well and you can get a range of colours!

rumsey232

Reaction score
Thank-you for that great answer! It has piqued my interest for a while :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1