Controversial question topic.

ticktockwizard

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all!

Newbie axxie enthusiast with a degree in biology here.

Have been keeping bettas for a while now. I'm planning to breed and I have been feeding wild mayfly larvae to my Bs as with no apparent negative effects.

To give you a context. I have access to a man made pond with select aquatic grasses and a sweet hand laid clay bed.
This pond has exquisite numbers of successful amphibian salamander and larvae. It also has great minnows turtles, daphnia and other awesome microbiotes. They all seem very healthy especially the amphibians. (By the way the diversity in amphibs is great some of
Them have bright fire orange red bellies and others are perfect tan brown bellied. All very healthy. ). So the question is:

What do people think of feedings wild larvae and other daphnia and cyclops species. They seem to all be VERY healthy. Keep in mind this pond was man made to harbor life.

???? Input? Keep in mind My bettas have been eating the microbiotes and the mayfly larvae.

Thanks all

I have several buckets in my garden with rainwater that have various 'natural' wildlife such as insect larvae and bugs that I use to feed axie larvae and juveniles.

The only problems I can foresee with a pond is runoff from agricultural land or other contamination, or diseases from the wild phibs, but in principle I don't see an issue as long as you are aware of the risks.

Some of us do feed our caudate larvae insects larvae from outdoor ponds/ tubs etc. I have tubs set up around my garden just for this purpose... visitors do not understand me :rofl: I prefer to use these and will supplement with shop bought when supplies start to run low.

I have fed my juveniles various larvae and bugs from ponds and streams, making sure no pesticides had been sprayed in the area or they aren't insect larvae with big pincers or too much or an exoskeleton. My Lotl liked cranefly larvae; big squishy things! Never had to pay for food for about a year, till she got really big.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back