Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding hatchlings for the first time

cedwards9

Reaction score
Hey, guys. I'm going to be feeding my hatchlings for the first time; I've got about 30.

I've got them in a 1 gallon, hexagonal 'betta' tank that has gravel and an undergravel filter (turned way down so they don't get stuck to the bottom'

My question is... when I go to feed them the microworms I've been culturing, should I turn off the airflow and still the water, so it's easier for them to catch them, and the microworms don't get sucked through the gravel? Or should I leave the bubbles on during feeding?

Additionally, how much microworms should I put in at once for approximately 30 hatchlings?

carsmiku

Reaction score
i would do a bare bottom and get a turkey baster to determine the quantity of how much is needed. you will see them grow larger everyday.

Axodragon

Reaction score
Shutting off the airflow temporarily would probably be a good idea. You might also want to get rid of the gravel ... It will make it harder to tell how much your axolotls are eating. It will also make cleaning the tank more difficult (you'll want to remove uneaten food and waste regularly).

I will add that, from what I've heard, axolotls don't grow very well on a diet of microworms. Once yours get a little bigger, you may want to switch to something like blackworms (that's what I am feeding my month-old axolotls).

Good luck! :)

cedwards9

Reaction score
I did figure that out, dragon. I didn't realize that microworms can live quite a while in water. I removed the gravel, and the tank is barebottom. I need to look into a blackworm supplier or renewable source. I ordered a couple microworm cultures and they were DOA from being in a 150 degree mail truck for hell and ever so I had to drive all over the place to find brine shirmp; only place for 100 miles that had any only had one vial of eggs, and those refused to hatch. The baby axolotls ate the eggs and that got them by until my two day shipping emergency order of microworms arrived.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1