Illness/Sickness: White eye and gill hairs desappear

SimoneB

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Hello everybody i desperately need help.
a few days ago, someone gave me some active carbon, i put it in the filter but it turned out they started dissolving into the water... then i immediately removed the "active carbon", cleaned the filter and changed the water with clean water. sadly my axolotl suffered badly and the day later i noticed they had lost their gill hairs (i tought that was due to bad water). but things got worse and yesterday i noticed some white fluffy stuff covering the eyes of one of them. I did a salt bath and removed it form the tank. Today it is not reactive at all even if i gently touch it (yesterday he was eating and swimming as normal) and even the other one in the tank is starting to develop the white stuff over its eyes.
what should I do? keep doing salt bath? Fridge them? i dont know...

Other informals:
-there are 2golden albinos and 2 wild(one removed) from the tank
-they are all youg (5-6 months)
-i cannot measure the parameters at the moment, for this reasoon i changed almost all the water

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back