I'm the worst axolotl mom!

Biev

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I dropped my baby (T^T)

Context: I'm usually pretty good at keeping the water cold, but there was one day last week where it got to 24 °C. Katla had a fungus by the time I got home, and I switched on the AC and started giving her salt baths. The fungus fell off quickly, but I've been keeping up with the baths just to make sure her gills heal properly.

Well, she's usually pretty calm when I transfer her to the bath, so I wasn't holding her firmly enough and when she started freaking out, I dropped her! Now her tail is injured and I feel like the worst scum on Earth.

Here's a photo of the damage. Is there anything I can do for her?

YAAoJgp.jpg

Hbnlapw.jpg

I'm not 100% but personally I would tub her just to make sure it's healing properly and doesn't get infected or fungus. I'd personally do Daily water changes with cool water but just keep an eye on her just incase.

She's alive, it'll heal and you'll learn from this experience and no doubt one day advise others. Don't be hard on yourself.

It looked like it really hurt at first, but now she doesn't pay attention to it so it must not be bothering her - I'll take it as a sign that it's healing properly. Thanks for the encouragement.

I gave her another bath, but I floated the container in her tank this time. She didn't like it as much because it was more wobbly, but at least it eliminated the risk in moving her! I don't want to give her too many baths though since it will also irritate her skin, so I think I'll stop there. Her gills are looking a lot better, and I'm monitoring her tank parameters like a hawk.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back