Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I am confused? BBS VS. Daphnia

IHeartCapnHook

Reaction score
I have been reading all over and it seems that I can not find the exact answer....

Hatchling Lotls (as in 1-2 weeks old)

(Besides the obvious gut load) :confused: What is the better/healthier food for them? Daphnia or BBS? :confused:

I can't seem to find Daphnia anywhere local? And now I have to research for BBS locally to see if they even exist? :confused:

So which is better for babylotls? Where do I find food for the babies because my breeder had low stock and these little suckers eat A LOT! :eek: :D

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
If you do bbs you have to hatch your own. Daphnia is easiest if you raise your own. Bbs is easier but you need new hatches all of the time.

IHeartCapnHook

Reaction score
The BBS is easier of a set up and up keeping alive and well than the daphnia?

Nutritional value on both is just based on what you gut load them?

PS, Michael, I read somewhere along the different threads that your Lotls are gorgeous! Once I figure how to navigate this site I am going to axo-stalk you! I can't wait!

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
With the bbs they you constantly need a new hatch. The nutritional value is based on how fast you use them. I get bbs cysts from brineshrimpdirect.com Pet store eggs are some times stored wrong and have low viability.

My best seasons for axolotl availability are late winter and spring.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1